83/94 NELSON

The above picture is undated.
[From the Tom Watson / Nelson Fire Station Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Nelson Fire Brigade around the 1920s.
[From the Tom Watson Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Nelson c.1948.
Middle row, 4th from left, is Arthur Crossley who went on to become the Deputy Chief of Merioneth in 1965.
This picture turned up in an album in a shop in Llandudno, North Wales in 2012!

Nelson Fire Station in the early 1950s
L to R Leyland FT3 Pump Escape BTJ370, Leyland TL DTB300, Leyland FE1 Pump TF8482
[From the Tom Watson Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Nelson Fire Station, mid to late 1950s.
[From the Tom Watson Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Lancashire operated 6 AEC Regents, though 5 were subsequently sold to Croydon and Manchester Fire Brigades
LTJ859 was seen on drill at Quaker Bridge, Brierfield.
[From the Tom Watson / Nelson Fire Station Collection and reproduced with permission.]

It is possible that WTE891 was allocated here although no official record has been traced so far.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Nelson Auxiliary Fire Service Excercise ~ date unknown.
[From the Tom Watson Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford TL 6 PTB
[From the Tom Watson Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford J4 282NTF was seen in Royton near Oldham at a 'Make Pumps 30' 8 August 1970.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis UK and reproduced with permisison.]


The four-bay appliance room seen on the Nelson Home Page is a reminder that in days past the station was home to a couple of special appliances as well as its two pumping applainces.  The Turntable Ladder is believed to have been reallocated soon after the 1974 reorganisation.  However, an Emergency Tender was to remain on the station for about a further 20 years as noted below.

Former Nelson Bedford TL VTB321D in use as a reserve at Morecambe.
(NP collection ~ courtesy DBB)

Like many similar appliances, Ford D1616 STJ197L eventually became a training appliance.
(NP collection ~ courtesy DBB)

Ford 1014 STB441L also subsequently progressed to the training school.
(NP collection ~ courtesy DBB)

Second generation Ford D1617 DRN886S seen in the station yard.
(NP collection ~ courtesy DBB)

It is likely that Ford D1617 NBV294T was running as a reserve appliance when this picture was taken.
(NP collection ~ courtesy DBB)

Ford A0610 Emergency Tender VRN151R seen in front of the station, 16 September 1984.
[Copyright picture ~ K Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Kendal Coachworks bodied Bedford TL860 ET ~ A948RCK
(NP collection ~ courtesy DBB)

Leyland Freighter D106TRN was seen in the station yard.
[Copyright picture ~ K.F.Reid and reproduced with permission.]

Leyland Freighter G140JFR from the Reynolds Boughton stable spent all of its working life here.
[Copyright picture ~ D. Barker-Brown and reproduced with permission.]

Daf55 T136BCK was seen at a major fire in Rising Bridge, 17 April 2003.

Daf55 PJ55FMM was seen at Quaker Bridge, 27 April 2009.

NELSON HOME PAGE

LANCASHIRE LIBRARY INDEX